Wednesday 20 April 2011

Introduction

My name is Kaitlynn and I am a Chemical Environmental Engineering student at UBC. For the upcoming summer I am going to be working with Engineers Without Borders (EWB) in Ghana. I am going to be keeping this blog while I am overseas and (depending on internet access) I hope to update it weekly.

Here is a little bit of info about Engineers Without Borders and why I am involved with this organization as opposed to the many other development NGO's out there. I initially became involved with EWB because I agree with the approach that this organization takes to development, especially the focus that is placed on human development. EWB partners with local organizations or governments to work on providing services that will benefit communities within four African countries (Ghana, Burkina Faso, Malawi, and Zambia). If anyone would like to learn more about EWB definitely check out the website (http://www.ewb.ca/en/index.html) or send me any questions that you have.

So here is how I fit in. I am going to be working in Ghana from May to August this summer. I will be working with the EWB GaRI team (Governance and Rural Infrastructure) in Ghana. GaRI is working with local governments in Ghana to improve planning and decision making processes. How is GaRI working to do this (you might ask). Well, the answer is data. And not just data collection for the sake of data, but working towards collecting valuable data that can be used to make solid decisions based on evidence.

I will be working in northern Ghana and my work will be related to water and sanitation. More details to be coming soon. I will be heading to Toronto at the beginning of May for pre-departure training and then off to Ghana on May 15th.

Sounds exciting, yes?

I think so.

1 comment:

  1. you're amazing! you're going to succeed in all that you do, I am sure of it!

    ReplyDelete