Monday 4 July 2011

Baboons Bamboozle the Bewildered Borderless

Last week was our mid-placement retreat in Mole National Park followed by a weekend of country meetings with the other EWB volunteers. It has been really great this past week to reconnect with other JF's and to hear all about what other people are working on as well as to reconnect with motivations and reasons for coming to Ghana. This past week has allowed me to think about what I want to bring back to Canada from my experience here and what I am going to focus on for the rest of my placement.

I am currently in the process of figuring out how I will be spending the rest of my time here in Ghana. I have been experiencing a number of challenges learning about the water sector in Buipe as the water and sanitation team that I was going to work with at the District Assembly is not functioning. I have been able to learn a lot about reasons for why this team is non-functional and have gained some insight into some of the structural problems that exist with the district water and sanitation teams (DWST's). 

One of the reasons for this situation is a reliance on donors to "take care of" water and sanitation in the district and because of this attitude there is a lack of incentive for the DWST's to function. UNICEF has been active in my district for the past 3 years implementing a project called I-WASH with the goal of Guinea Worm eradication. Through this project UNICEF has been responsible for all water and sanitation work in the district for the past few years. As a part of this project DWST`s were supposed to play an active role in the project delivery teams at districts. However, in the case of Central Gonja, where there was not a functional DWST to begin with, instead of building DWST capacity, the I-WASH team has replaced the DWST. So now that UNICEF`s funding is up and the project has ended there is a significant gap left that the DWST should be filling...key word is "should".

Long story short, I am planning on visiting some other I-WASH districts and learning more about how functional different DWST`s are and how other districts are managing UNICEF leaving. I will keep you posted on my travels and further details on what I will be working on for the next six weeks. 

Finally, as you were perhaps somewhat intrigued by the mention of baboons in the title of this post which has been so far completely without baboon reference...

The first day that we were in Mole we saw a baboon pass by with a baby on her back as we were having a retreat session. This was a very exciting moment - cameras were taken out to appreciate this wonderful little nature experience. This was prior to learning that baboons are the sandwich-stealing peacocks (circa the Calgary zoo) of Mole Park. I now have a fear of baboons coming flying out of nowhere to steal juice/food/anything/everything. I feel somewhat mislead by Disney to believe that baboons are wise creatures who help to being baby lions into the world, and not the crafty aggressive critters that I have encountered.

And in other animals news from Mole...


3 comments:

  1. SANDWICH STEALING PEACOCKS OF THE CALGARY ZOO.

    I've never felt closer to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome post kaitlynn!!
    interesting to hear about the Guinea worm eradication work after having done so many W4W presentations and talking about Guinea worm. I'm curious to hear how you would change the water for the world presentation to better explain the situation in ghana for example on water issues and on guinea worm in particular.

    curious to hear what you get up to over the next 6 weeks. whatever you end up doing, know that in true EWB words "that is the right thing to do, and you are the right person to do that" :) In Annelies words: "whatever you do you will be fantastic at because... well... you are fantastic!!"

    love you long time :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elliot, those birds are unreal. I am so glad you feel the same way!!!

    Annelies, thanks so much. I will be sure to keep you posted on where I am going and what I am doing in the next 6 weeks. I have definitely been thinking about W4W while here - I think that an update will be in order upon my return!

    ReplyDelete